When the dawn of Spring brings forth the rites of Spring, Cream of Asparagus Soup brings out its subtle flavors.
Cream of Asparagus Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 large bundle of asparagus
- 1/2 onion, skinned and sliced
- 1 pint (600 ml) white stock
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) 50 g butter
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 Cups (1/2 pint) 300 ml whole milk
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) heavy cream
- Wash and trim the asparagus, discarding the woody part of the stem, and cut the remainder into short lengths, keeping a few tips for garnish. Cook the tips for about 5 to10 minutes in boiling salted water.
- Put the rest of the asparagus, the onion, 150 ml (1/4 pint) of the stock and the butter in a saucepan, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the asparagus is soft.
- Blend the flour and the remaining stock to a smooth cream. Stir in a little of the hot soup and return this mixture to the pan, bring to the boil, stirring until it thickens. Cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season to taste and sieve the soup or puree it in an electric blender.
- Stir in the remaining milk and the cream, re-heat and garnish with asparagus tips.