Crawdad Gumbo is a quick and easy way to prepare a delicious, hearty and comforting soup that’s flavor-rich. Superb! Ideal for Halloween, too!
This is a quick and easy gumbo and done in an hour or less.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 1 pot
- 1 pound crawdads or, medium shrimp; cooked, cleaned
- 4 ounces salt pork; cubed small
- 8 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 pound fresh or frozen okra (fresh preferred)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 Cups water
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, fry salt pork and sausage until browned over medium heat. Add onion, cook until tender, stirring often.
- Transfer to a 2 quart stock pot and add water, okra, corn, tomatoes, and all seasonings, bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Add half-and-half, and crawdads, simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve piping hot with plain or dirty rice and crusty bread.
Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 36 Fat.
Calories: 1925 Fat: 185 g Carbohydrates: 53 g Sodium: 3262 mg Fiber: 7 g Protein: 19 g Cholesterol: 195 mg