Cranberry Cheesecake with Walnut Crust
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cakes
- 1 1/2 Cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 Cup (1 stick) butter; melted
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole cranberry sauce
- 3 package (8 ounces each) cream cheese softened
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces dairy sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine crumbs, walnuts and butter.
- In the bottom of a 9 inch spring-form pan firmly press crumb mixture. Bake until golden, 5 to 6 minutes; remove from oven; cool slightly.
- Spread with cranberry sauce; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well blended; spread evenly over cranberry sauce. Bake until a knife inserted 1-1/2-inches from the edge comes out clean, about 1 hour; turn off oven; leave cheesecake in oven with door ajar until top is firm to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
- NOTE: To make sugared cranberries: In a small bowl place a small amount of white corn syrup. Add fresh cranberries, a few at a time, turning to coat; then place in a bowl of granulated sugar. Using a fork, remove cranberries from sugar and place on a plate until ready to use.
This is a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday dessert, also suited well to post-holiday cooking to use up the leftover cranberry sauce.
Just before serving, remove cheesecake from pan to a serving plate. Garnish with sugared cranberries, kiwi slices and mint leaves, if desired.