This variation of the Cinnamon Bun is utterly delicious. Perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Cran-Apple Oatmeal Swirl Rolls
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Desserts
- For Dough:
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour (1 1/2 to 2); divided
- 2/3 Cup uncooked quick or old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 envelope quick-rising yeast (1/4 ounces); (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup warm milk or water; (110 to 115 degrees)
- 1/4 Cup butter (1/2 stick); melted
- 1 egg; lightly beaten
- For Filling:
- 2/3 Cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 Cup butter (5 Tablespoon plus; melted teaspoon)
- 1/3 Cup uncooked quick or old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup chopped dried apples
- 1/3 Cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Lightly grease an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
- To prepare dough: combine 1 1/2 Cups flour, oats, brown sugar, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add milk, butter and egg; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, lightly sprinkling work surface and hands with flour if dough is sticky. Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- To prepare filling: Combine walnuts, brown sugar, butter, oats and apple pie spice in small bowl; mix well. Reserve 1/3 cup; set aside. Add apples and cranberries to remaining oat mixture; mix well.
- Roll dough into 16- by 8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle apple mixture evenly over dough; press firmly into dough. Starting at long end, roll dough up tightly; pinch seam to seal. Cut dough crosswise into 12 slices. Place slices, cut-side down, in prepared pan. Cover. Let rolls rise in warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine reserved 1/3 Cup oat mixture with remaining 1 Tablespoon flour; sprinkle evenly over rolls. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- Turn out onto platter. Serve warm.
- Yield: 12 rolls.