Though most believe this to be an Asian recipe, it is actually American, like the Fortune Cookie. Still, simply delicous.
- 40 wonton skins
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- vegetable oil
- 6 ounces crabmeat, minced
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Place a heaping teaspoonful of crabmeat mixture in the center of one wonton skin. Cover remaining skins with damp towel to keep them pliable.
- Top with another wonton skin and press edges to seal. Brush dab of egg on center of both sides of puff.
- Use fingers to pleat each edge, pressing to seal. Repeat with remaining wonton skins. Cover puffs with damp towel or plastic wrap to keep them from drying out.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil in wok to 350 degrees F. Fry 4 or 5 puffs at a time until golden brown, turning 2 or 3 times, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
Serve with lemon sauce if desired. Lemon sauce recipe in Sauces category.