Crab Cakes with Cilantro Butter
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
- Crab Cakes:
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper,finely diced
- 1/2 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 pound best-quality lump crab meat
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups coarse ground homemade bread crumbs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cilantro Butter Sauce:
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 chopped tomato
- cilantro sprigs
- 1. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large skillet; cook red and green peppers in the oil until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon. Cool.
- Mix crab meat, eggs, cooked peppers and 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Using wet hands, shape crab mixture into 8 equal-size cakes. Place on a wax paper-lined plate and chill up to several hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat crab cakes in bread crumbs on all sides. Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large, ovenproof skillet. Add crab cakes in a single layer. Cook until nicely browned on bottom, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over and then place in oven. Bake until golden on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, boil wine with shallot in a medium non-reactive saucepan until reduced to 1/3 cup. Stir in cream and boil until reduced by about half. Working over very low heat, whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until sauce is light and thick. Do not allow sauce to boil at any time or it will separate. Strain sauce through a fine wire mesh strainer into a warm bowl. Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper. Keep warm by covering tightly with plastic wrap and then placing bowl in a pan of warm water.
- To serve, pour a few tablespoons of the sauce onto a warm serving plate.
- Top with a crab cake.
- Garnish with chopped tomato and cilantro sprig.
- Serve immediately.