Crab Cakes with Basil Mayonnaise
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Shellfish
- 40 basil leaves
- 1 1/2 Cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Crab Cakes:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery; finely chopped
- 2/3 Cup onion; finely chopped
- 1 pound lump crabmeat; picked clean
- 2 2/3 Cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 Cup chopped chives
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- FOR BASIL MAYONNAISE: Blanch basil leaves in saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain.
- Transfer leaves to medium bowl filled with ice water to cool. Pat dry on paper towels. Finely chop basil.
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and cayenne together.
- Set aside 1/2 cup mayonnaise for the crab cakes. Mix basil into remainder and refrigerate.
- FOR CRAB CAKES: Heat olive oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in crabmeat, 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, chopped chives, and reserved mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using 1/3 cup for each, form into twelve 2 1/2" cakes.
- Arrange cakes on a baking sheet. Place flour in a small bowl. Whisk eggs in another bowl. Place remaining 2 cups breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Bread each cake in the following order: flour, eggs, then breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add crab cakes in batches, cooking until golden, adding more oil as required.
Per serving: 667 Calories; 57g Fat (76% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 182mg Cholesterol; 687mg Sodium
Serve with basil mayonnaise.