Couscous Salad with Cashews, Currants and Snow Peas is one of the nicest meatless main courses or side dishes we’ve tried in years. Lots of great flavor and texture. Simply delish!
- 1 Cup dried apricots; quartered
- 1 Cup dried currants; as needed
- 1/2 pound snow peas; trimmed
- 2/3 Cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 Cups cooked couscous
- 2 Cups salted roasted cashews (10 to 12 ounces)
- 4 green onions; thinly sliced
- Place apricots and currants in medium bowl and cover with hot water. Soak 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill 2 1/2 quart saucepan two-thirds full with water and bring to boil. Cook snow peas until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In small mixing bowl combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, sugar and pepper. Whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine couscous, cashews, green onions and snow peas. Drain apricots and currants. Pat dry with paper towels and add to couscous mixture. Toss lightly to combine. Add dressing, toss to mix through, and serve.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Each of 8 servings: 575 calories; 379 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 35 grams fat; 57 grams carbohydrates; 13 grams protein; 2.37 grams fiber.