This exceptionally flavorful Couscous Provencal may be served either as a side or vegetarian main course. Add more vegetables and adapt it to your personal preferences.
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium garlic clove; peeled, minced
- 1 can vegetable broth (14 1/2 ounces); plus water to equal 3 Cups
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron; optional (or 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 1/2 Cups uncooked couscous
- 4 oil-packed dried tomatoes; finely chopped or fresh chopped tomatoes
- 4 Kalamata olives; coarsely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth, saffron, herbs, couscous, dried tomatoes, olives and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring well with a fork. Cover; turn off heat. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
Serving size: 6 servings