County Cork Irish Stew
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 8 small lamb chops, thawed
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- parsley, bay leaves
- peppercorns, thyme, rosemary
- 1 pound potatoes, 3 to 4 medium
- 2 Cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek white, thin sliced
- 12 small white onions
- 1 1/2 Cups celery stalks, diced
- 1 1/2 Cups peas
- chopped fresh parsley
- Season chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in saucepan wide enough to hold all chops in a single layer. Brown on both sides.
- Spoon off any melted fat and add enough water to cover chops. Bring to a boil and add parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and rosemary enclosed in cheesecloth.
- Lower heat and simmer. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and shape into bite sized rounds.
- Chop trimmings from potatoes into small pieces. Add potatoes, trimmings, cabbage, onion, well-rinsed leek, white onions and celery to chops and liquid.
- Simmer 20 minutes then add peas. Add a little more water if needed during cooking.
- Simmer 10 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Correct seasoning. Garnish with parsley and serve.