Your family will beg for more Country-Style Smashed Red Skin Potatoes. Simple, delicious, and an ideal side dish with meats or fish.
Country-Style Smashed Red Skin Potatoes
Author: Beverly Lynn Bennett
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 10 servings
- 5 pounds red skin potatoes, washed well and cut into 1" cubes
- water (as needed)
- 2 Cups diced red onion
- 1 Cup diced shallot
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 Cup soy milk (or rice milk or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 Cup freshly-chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- In a large pot, place the cubed potatoes, cover them with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, saute the red onion and shallot in olive oil for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and very soft. Add the garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain them, reserving the cooking liquid for making soup or for use in another dish, and return the cooked potatoes to the pot. Add the sauteed vegetables and remaining ingredients to the potatoes.
- Using a potato masher, roughly mash all of the ingredients together, making the mixture as smooth or chunky as desired. Taste and add additional salt or pepper, if desired.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Calories: 47 Fat: 3g Sodium: 217mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg