Country Ham and Red-Eye Gravy
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pork
- 4 Tablespoons drippings from
- 4 country ham slices (1/4-inch thick)
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil; divided
- 1 Cup strong black coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- hot biscuits
- Place ham in a large shallow container; pour milk over ham.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Remove ham from milk.
- Cut slashes in fat to keep ham from curling.
- Cook 1 slice of ham in 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet over low heat until light brown; turning once.
- Remove from skillet, and keep warm.
- Drain off pan drippings, reserving for gravy.
- Repeat procedure with remaining oil and ham.
- Add pan drippings, coffee, and pepper to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Serve gravy.