A classic of Sephardic cooking from Morocco, Cornish Hens with Fresh Figs is a delightful tagine pairing perfectly with a warm crusty bread. Fresh figs add extraordinary flavor to the rich taste of Cornish hens.
- 8 large onions; thinly sliced
- 6 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 large or 4 small Cornish game hens
- 2 Tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 12 threads Spanish saffron; toasted and crushed
- 12 fresh figs; peeled and halved
- In a heavy ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, combine the onions with 3 tablespoons of the honey, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a deep caramel color, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the hens. In a small bowl, mix the oil with the saffron, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat the hens inside and out with the mixture and set them on top of the onions. Still over medium heat, cover, and cook until the hens are tender and the juices run clear, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Remove the hens from the pan and cut them in half, if desired. Return to the pan and surround with the figs. Drizzle the dish with the remaining 3 tablespoons honey.
- Broil, watching carefully, until the breasts turn brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
Source: ""The Scent of Orange Blossoms: Sephardic Cuisine from Morocco" by Kitty Morse and Danielle Mamane"
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 351 Calories; 8g Fat (17.9% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 74g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 542mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
A salad of incredible visual and gastronomic appeal. Watermelon Puzzle has it all! Delicious intern...
An incredibly flavorful soup, Asparagus and Crab Meat Soup is an exceptional blending of flavors. Yo...
Home of the fabled city of Samarkand, of Bukharan rugs and beautiful, almond eyed women said to be s...
Chianti Beef with Thyme Potatoes is a wonderfully rustic dish of deliciously tender beef pieces in a...