The flavor of stout adds a deep and rich flavor. One of the best and most popular recipes for a Happy St. Patrick’s Day. Erin Go Bragh!
Corned Beef and Cabbage in Stout
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 4 pounds corned beef
- 1 bottle stout; such as Guinness (12 ounces)
- 1 onion; halved and cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head cabbage; cut in wedges (about 3 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In Dutch oven or large pot over high heat brown corned beef well on all sides, 8-10 minutes.
- Pour stout over meat. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, cloves, allspice and pepper. Cover; cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Add cabbage; continue cooking until meat and cabbage are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove meat and cabbage; let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place Dutch oven over high heat on stovetop. Bring cooking liquid to a boil.
- Cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Serve cabbage and sauce with meat.
Makes 8 servings. Per serving: 616 cals; 43 g protein; 43 g fat; 22 mg chol; 12 g carbs; 2,599 mg sodium.
Goes perfectly with Flaming Irish Coffee.