Cornbread Western Mason-Dixon Stuffing
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stuffings
- 4 Cups dry cornbread crumbs (from your favorite non-sweet cornbread recipe)
- 4 Cups dry white bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 ribs celery (including some tops), chopped
- 1/2 Cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 can corn, undrained, optional
- 1 chicken broth/turkey stock to moisten
- sage, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the cornbread and white bread into a big bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onions and celery, and cook over low heat until the vegetables are soft, but not browned. Dump the butter/vegetable mixture over the bread. Stir in the nuts, canned corn and its liquid (if used), seasonings. Add broth to moisten to the consistancy you like (Western-style dressing tends to be a bit dryer than the Southern version).