This delicious, rich and flavorful Corn Pudding is perfect for holiday meals, particularly Thanksgiving, as it represents the bounty of corn that helped feed our original Pilgrim settlers, the gift of Native Americans.
- 2 1/2 Cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar; more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs; room temperature
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Generously butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of the corn in the blender and whirl until pureed.
- In a large bowl, combine the pureed corn, remaining corn kernels, flour, sugar, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and mix well. Cut the butter into small pieces and stir into the corn mixture.
- Place the eggs into a medium bowl and beat vigorously until they are light and foamy. Add the beaten eggs and the milk to the corn mixture, stirring well. Pour the pudding into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the nutmeg.
- Set the dish into a large roasting pan and pour enough water into the roasting pan to reach about one-quarter of the way up the sides of the baking dish. Carefully set the roasting pan (with the baking dish inside) in the hot oven on the middle shell.
- Bake the pudding for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let set a few minutes, and serve hot.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Recipe from "Soul Food" by Joyce White
Spiced Cantaloupe s a seductive pairing of cayenne's heat and the subtle and subdued taste of cantal...
An ancient custom to celebrate Epiphany, the visitation of the three kings. Galette des Rois is a gr...
Beef Wellington is named for the Duke, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. It is a perfect recipe for...
There's nothing as delicious as our tasty Blue-Cheese-Stuffed Burgers with bacon served on a lusciou...