Consommé is a multi-step process that results in a clear, flavorful soup. Reducing consomme produces a superb demi-glace, but serving it as a soup course is best. Marvelous flavor!
Serve with a wide variety of garnishes as a soup course, or add gelatin and flavorings to create magnificent aspics.
- 2 pounds beef shank
- 2 pounds veal shank
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 Quart chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons butter substitute
- 3 Quarts cold water
- 1 clove
- 1/4 Cup diced carrot
- 1/4 Cup diced celery
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- Cut meat from beef shank. Crush bone. Combine veal, beef, and crushed bone. Add water, bay leaf, 2 teaspoons salt, and clove.
- Cover. Simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Skim frequently to remove foam and solids that float to the surface. Add chicken stock.
- Add vegetables which have been browned in butter. Season to taste.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours. Strain. Clear. Heat to boiling.
- Serve at once or store in refrigerator until needed.
Bite-Sized Eclairs are seriously tasty pastry treats with a luscious filling. They're wonderful for ...
Anchovy-Grilled Salmon Steaks has a wonderful combination of flavors. The sweet, salty and aromatic ...
Champeach Sorbet is a simple recipe, with complex and delicious results. Serve with a sliced peach a...
Carrot and Ginger Soup with Roasted Cauliflower offers an incredible triad of flavors that entice th...