Consommé is a multi-step process that results in a clear, flavorful soup. Reducing consomme produces a superb demi-glace, but serving it as a soup course is best. Marvelous flavor!
Serve with a wide variety of garnishes as a soup course, or add gelatin and flavorings to create magnificent aspics.
- 2 pounds beef shank
- 2 pounds veal shank
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 Quart chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons butter substitute
- 3 Quarts cold water
- 1 clove
- 1/4 Cup diced carrot
- 1/4 Cup diced celery
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- Cut meat from beef shank. Crush bone. Combine veal, beef, and crushed bone. Add water, bay leaf, 2 teaspoons salt, and clove.
- Cover. Simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Skim frequently to remove foam and solids that float to the surface. Add chicken stock.
- Add vegetables which have been browned in butter. Season to taste.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours. Strain. Clear. Heat to boiling.
- Serve at once or store in refrigerator until needed.
The incredible flavor of Duck Soup is enhanced by simple ingredients like wild rice, celery and onio...
Your palate will promptly fall in love with its first taste of Butterscotch Custard Pie. It really ...
Thai Chicken Burgers are abundantly flavorful and accompanied by a tasty Broccoli Slaw. Paired with ...
The plantain is a staple of Latin American cuisine. Cuban Fried Sweet Plantains (Plátanos Maduros) m...