For an incredible treat, try our Consomme with Pancake Swirls. It’s heart-warming and gloriously good. A consomme to treasure.
Consomme with Pancake Swirls
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 5 ounces (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint (150 ml) milk
- 1/4 pint (150 ml) mineral water
- salt and freshly milled white pepper
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 ounces (225 g) sausage meat
- 4 ounces (100 g) lamb's liver, minced
- generous pinch of celery salt
- 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) prepared consomme (canned or homemade)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley to garnish
- Sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the middle, then gradually beat in the egg, milk, mineral water and a pinch of salt. Cover the bowl and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add the batter a little at a time to make small thin pancakes, keeping the cooked pancakes hot. Heat the consomme.
- Finely dice the onion. Mix the sausage meat with the minced liver and diced onion and season with salt, pepper and celery salt. Fry for a few minutes in the remaining oil, stirring from time to time.
- Spread the mixture on to the pancakes, roll up the pancakes and cut them into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices.
- Place the pancakes in soup bowls and pour on the hot consomme. Sprinkle each serving with a little parsley.
Serving size: each serving Calories: 465