Rich and flavorful, Consomme Primavera has great appeal, and becomes a favored soup very quickly among family. To serve, divide among four soup bowls. Garnish with the julienned vegetables and the mushrooms.
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 turnip
- 1 parsnip
- 3 pounds chicken backs and necks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns crushed
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 leek
- 1/2 Cup fresh enoki mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Coarsely chop the onion, celery, 1 carrot, the turnip, and parsnip.
- Place in a large stock pot. Add 1-1/2 quarts water, the chicken parts, bay leaf, garlic, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, and salt to taste. Bring very slowly to a simmer; cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Strain through a double layer of cheesecloth. Set aside to cool.
- Peel the skins off the yellow squash and zucchini, discarding or reserving the pulp for other use. Julienne the peels, remaining 1/2 carrot, and the leek into uniform 1/8-inch by 2-inch matchsticks. Place in a steamer over boiling water; cook 1 minute. Remove and allow to cool.
- Skim any fat that has risen to the top of the consomme. Return the broth to a slow simmer; cook until reduced to one-fourth its original volume.
Rich bacon and tasty Cheddar flavors come through with every delicious spoonful of Bacon-Topped Chee...
Venetian Cornmeal Cake is a very old recipe, modernized here by Mary Ann Esposito. The dense cornmea...
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes are a superb accompaniment for roast turkey, beef or pork. Perfect as a...
When it comes to great flavor, Filet Mignon Sauce Madeira is unsurpassed and the delight of gastrono...