Rich and flavorful, Consomme Primavera has great appeal, and becomes a favored soup very quickly among family. To serve, divide among four soup bowls. Garnish with the julienned vegetables and the mushrooms.
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 turnip
- 1 parsnip
- 3 pounds chicken backs and necks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns crushed
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 leek
- 1/2 Cup fresh enoki mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Coarsely chop the onion, celery, 1 carrot, the turnip, and parsnip.
- Place in a large stock pot. Add 1-1/2 quarts water, the chicken parts, bay leaf, garlic, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, and salt to taste. Bring very slowly to a simmer; cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Strain through a double layer of cheesecloth. Set aside to cool.
- Peel the skins off the yellow squash and zucchini, discarding or reserving the pulp for other use. Julienne the peels, remaining 1/2 carrot, and the leek into uniform 1/8-inch by 2-inch matchsticks. Place in a steamer over boiling water; cook 1 minute. Remove and allow to cool.
- Skim any fat that has risen to the top of the consomme. Return the broth to a slow simmer; cook until reduced to one-fourth its original volume.
Paskha is a cheesecake like dessert that is traditionally served in Russian homes for Orthodox Easte...
Cod Cobbler is an exceptional, savory preparation ideal for a family dinner. Rich and flavorful, the...
Jewels in the Candied Holiday Fruitcake is the way one might describe the amazing beauty of this del...
Boston Creme Trifle is an extraordinary dessert, combining the delights of cake, pudding and topping...