Consommé Madrilene is one of the classics served in French restaurants or homes. Simple, delightfully flavored, with a tangy, pepper flavor. The soup is ideal any time of year and may be served cold or warm, but not hot. When fully chilled, the soup may become gelatinous.
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 red or green bell peppers *
- 1 leek; trimmed, cut in chunks
- 4 egg whites; lightly beaten
- 8 Cups rich chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch chives; chopped
- 2 ounces chopped pimiento
- parsley or chervil leaves for the garnish, coarsley chopped
- *Note: Bell peppers should be cored, seeded and quartered.
- Peel, core and dice 4 tomatoes. Place in large saucepan and add green peppers, leek and egg whites, mixing well.
- Add chicken stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place over medium low heat and slowly bring to boil. Boil 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain through sieve or strainer lined with linen towel or cheesecloth.
- Discard vegetables and refrigerate consomme until serving time.
- Just before serving, peel, core and seed remaining 2 tomatoes and dice fine.
- Mix with chives and pimiento and place 1 or 2 tablespoons of mixture in bottom of each soup bowl.
- Pour chilled consomme over vegetables and serve at once. Consomme should be clear, thick and syrupy but not set.
- Garnish with parsley or chervil leaves.
The coolness of Chilled Zucchini-Mint Soup compliments the wealth of flavors in every spoonful. Ref...
These crepes, known as gundel paliscinta, are deep, dark, and delicious, and the sauce is both unusu...
For a unique treat, serve your guests or family a bowl of Chilled Rhubarb Soup to start off an amazi...
An astoundingly delicious dish, suitable as an appetizer or a main course for luncheon or brunch, Ar...