Consommé Madrilene is one of the classics served in French restaurants or homes. Simple, delightfully flavored, with a tangy, pepper flavor. The soup is ideal any time of year and may be served cold or warm, but not hot. When fully chilled, the soup may become gelatinous.
- 6 large tomatoes
- 2 red or green bell peppers *
- 1 leek; trimmed, cut in chunks
- 4 egg whites; lightly beaten
- 8 Cups rich chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch chives; chopped
- 2 ounces chopped pimiento
- parsley or chervil leaves for the garnish, coarsley chopped
- *Note: Bell peppers should be cored, seeded and quartered.
- Peel, core and dice 4 tomatoes. Place in large saucepan and add green peppers, leek and egg whites, mixing well.
- Add chicken stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place over medium low heat and slowly bring to boil. Boil 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain through sieve or strainer lined with linen towel or cheesecloth.
- Discard vegetables and refrigerate consomme until serving time.
- Just before serving, peel, core and seed remaining 2 tomatoes and dice fine.
- Mix with chives and pimiento and place 1 or 2 tablespoons of mixture in bottom of each soup bowl.
- Pour chilled consomme over vegetables and serve at once. Consomme should be clear, thick and syrupy but not set.
- Garnish with parsley or chervil leaves.
Made throughout Eastern Europe, some say Kolach is Russian, while others attribute it to the Czechs ...
Quite flavorful, colorful and delicious, Classic Russian Chilled Borscht is a gem of Eastern Europea...
These freshly made Potato Farls (pancakes) are served with a hearty Irish breakfast, or used as a ba...
The pairing of flavors in Honey Thyme Ice Cream yields incredible taste sensations for the palate, a...