Delightful, our recipe for Coleslaw is especially tasty with Barbecue. Great on sandwiches or as a side dish with barbecued beef, ribs, chicken or pork.
Author: Bev Bennett
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 2 1/2 Cups
- 2 Cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small red onion; quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 5 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ground pepper
- In bowl, combine cabbage, onion, caraway seeds, sugar, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Allow to 'marinate,' covered, for several hours in the refrigerator for best flavors.
Try adding any of the following, substituting an equal portion of these for that of cabbage: shredded apple; shredded celeriac; shredded carrot; or shredded red cabbage. In fact, this recipe may be made entirely with red or savoy cabbage (particularly good in winter). Red cabbage makes a uniquely magenta colored dressing that is beautiful with things like shrimp or chicken.