For a delightful start to your dinner, try Cold Noodles in Soy Soup (Kong-Guksu). The flavors are intense, yet subtle.
Cold Noodles in Soy Soup (Kong Guksu)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 3 Tablespoons perilla seeds
- 4 Cups dried soy beans (maeju)
- water; as needed
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 20 ounces Somen noodles (7 bundles)
- 2 small Korean cucumbers
- 1 tomato; sliced in wedges
- black sesame seeds; for garnish
- Roast perilla seeds in small dry skillet over medium-low heat, shaking skillet, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Wash beans, then soak in hot water until plumped and shells have begun to come off, at least 2 hours. Rinse and remove shells. Place beans in large pot and add water to cover about 1 inch above beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 35 to 40 minutes. Occasionally skim foam from top. Remove beans from heat, rinse thoroughly in cold water, then drain.
- Puree seeds then combine with beans. Puree bean mixture in batches in food processor with water so that you process 1 cup beans with 2 cups water, until liquefied. Strain liquid through cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate soy liquid 4 to 5 hours until thoroughly cool or chill over a bowl of ice water 1 hour.
- Bring 6 to 8 cups water to boil in large saucepan. Loosen bundles of somen and add to water. Boil until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Drain.
- Divide noodles among 8 to 10 large bowls. Carefully pour cold soy soup over noodles. Garnish with cucumbers that have been sliced into thin strips and 1 to 2 tomato wedges per bowl and sprinkle each with black sesame seeds.
For different flavors, substitute sesame seeds, peanuts or cashews for perilla seeds. All nuts or seeds used should be roasted. Perilla seeds, dried soy beans, somen noodles and Korean cucumbers are available at Korean markets.
Serving size: Each of 10 servings Calories: 177 Fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 24 g Sodium: 160 mg Fiber: 2.19 g Protein: 10 g Cholesterol: 0