Cold Hungarian Cherry Soup calls for sour cherries, but we’ve made this with canned Bing cherries (sweeter) and with fresh cherries, both sweet and sour. Invariably, this recipe is always a delicious treat not to be missed.
- 32 ounces pitted sour cherries; drained (canned - see Additional Comments below)
- 3 Cups water
- 1 Cup sugar
- plus sugar to taste
- ground cinnamon; to taste
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- 1 Cup dry red wine or sherry
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine cherries, the water, the 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, cream, and 1/2 cup of the hot soup liquid.
- Gradually add mixture to soup remaining in saucepan, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally Remove from heat. Stir in wine; taste and add sugar as needed. Let cool, cover, and chill.
- Adjust seasoning and serve in chilled bowls or cups garnished with fresh cherries (if available) and mint leaves or fresh heavy cream.
A perfectly delicious Autumnal soup that is one of our favorites. We love the rich, seasonal flavors...
Braised Beef Short Ribs with Gremolata is an amazingly flavorful, aromatic main course that pairs pe...
There's incredible flavor in Grilled Teres Major Steak with Mushroom and Celery Root Ragout, particu...
White Chocolate Tower with Dark Chocolate Mousse is a magical recipe that surprises. You'll expect ...