The sultry, seductive, and healthy ingredient in Cold Avocado Soup with Chili Coriander Cream pairs with cilantro cream making an exceptional soup. Perfect for hot weather.
- 3 ripe California avocados (each about 1/2 pound)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice - or to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
- 2 Cups ice water - (up to 3)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - or to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- 1/4 Cup sour cream
- 1/4 Cup plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno - seeded and minced
- 2 Cups chopped fresh coriander - washed well and chopped, or to taste, spun dry
- Halve, pit, and peel avocados and in a blender or food processor blend with lemon or lime juice, broth, buttermilk, 2 cups ice water, cumin, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste until smooth. Transfer soup to a large bowl. Thin with remaining ice water to desired consistency and chill, covered, until very cold, at least 2 hours and up to 4 (soup will discolor if kept longer.)
- For the Chili Coriander Cream, in a blender or small food processor blend together all ingredients with salt and pepper to taste, scraping down sides until very smooth. Cream may be made 6 hours ahead and chilled.
Donegal Cream is a luscious, creamy dessert enhanced with fresh fruit, usually berries, though peach...
A classic of Sephardic cooking from Morocco, Cornish Hens with Fresh Figs is a delightful tagine pai...
Pampushky are wonderful Ukrainian doughnuts, filled with not only preserves but outstanding flavor. ...
The amazing flavor, and nutty crunch of Simple Wild Rice is complemented and enhanced by the additio...