Colcannon is an international staple, favored in Ireland (its source), Scotland, Wales and England and much beloved in Canada, Australia and the United States. The flavor is extraordinary and it serves as the perfect accompaniment to pot roasted meats, sausages or some stews.
- half-pound of cabbage; (green or Savoy)
- 3 pounds potatoes, Yukon Gold or Russet
- 1 small onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- butter, salted
- Boil the potatoes, drain and mash well.
- Chop up the cooked cabbage and mix in with the mashed potato.
- Chop the onion and cook gently in butter until soft, then mix into the potatoes and cabbage.
- Serve in mounds on hot plates, with a well of butter in the middle of each mound.