Cod Cobbler is an exceptional seafood dish, pairing cod with delightful, cheesy scones. Perfect for a family dinner you know they’ll love.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless filets of cod
- 2 ounces butter, salted
- 2 ounces flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 liter milk
- 3 1/2 ounces grated cheese (Cheddar or similar cheese)
- 2 ounces grated Cheddar or similar cheese; (for scones)
- 2 ounces butter; unsalted (for scones)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder; (for scones)
- 1 pinch salt; (for scones)
- 1 egg; large (for scones)
- Place cod filets in the bottom of a round oven dish.
- Make a cheese sauce with 2 ounces each of butter and flour, 1/2 liter milk and 3 1/2 oz grated cheese: pour over fish.
- Next, make scone dough -- rub 2 ounces butter into 8 ounces of flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder, and pinch of salt. Add 2 ounces grated cheese, preferably mature Cheddar or a mixture of that and Parmesan. Drop 1 egg yolk into the mixture and add enough milk to make a workable dough.
- Roll out to a thickness of 1/2 inch and cut into small rounds with a scone cutter. -- Dispose these rounds on top of the sauce, so that they just about cover the surface; glaze them with a little milk, sprinkle some more grated cheese over them and bake in a hot oven (450 F) for 25 to 30 minutes, until the scones are golden brown.
Serving size: per serving Calories: 508 Fat: 41g Carbohydrates: 18g Sodium: 709mg Protein: 17g Cholesterol: 167mg