There’s plenty to enjoy in this diabetic-friendly Coconut Cream Pie. It’s packed with incredible flavor and a pleasure with every bite.
Coconut Cream Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 3 pies, 24 slices
- 3 crusts prepared pie crust, for 9-inch pans
- 3/4 Cups flaked coconut
- 2 1/4 Cups sweetener, granulated
- 1 Cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 1/2 Cups 1% low-fat milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 Cups flaked coconut
- 3 Tablespoons Bourbon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 Cups sugar-free whipped topping
- Preheat conventional over to 375 degrees F.
- Pre-bake the pie crusts according to the manufacturer’s directions, using pie weights or lining the pie crust with waxed paper and adding rice or beans. Cool before removing weights and filling.
- Toast 3/4 cup of coconut flakes in the oven, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until toasted. Set aside for garnish.
- Combine granulated sweetener, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan, mixing well. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually temper hot milk mixture into yolks; whisking constantly, add yolk mixture to remaining hot milk mixture. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until mixture just comes to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter, remaining coconut flakes and flavorings.
- Immediately pour filling into prepared crusts. Cover with plastic wrap, gently pressing on filling.
- Chill for 3 hours or until firm. Top with sugar-free whipped topping. Sprinkle pies with toasted coconut for presentation.