The extraordinary flavor of Classic Prime Rib comes directly from its intensely simple preparation. Great dishes usually require minimal effort.
Classic Prime Rib
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 standing roast of beef (4-rib, about 10-11 pounds)
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 450 degrees F.
- TRIM the excess fat from the roast, leaving only 1/4-inch of fat.
- Heat the oil in a large roasting pan over medium-to-high heat on top of the stove. When the oil is hot, place the roast, fat-side down, in the pan and brown for 5 minutes. Turn the roast on one end and cook another 5 minutes. Turn on the other end and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard fat.
- Sprinkle with desired salt and pepper.
- Place roast in oven and immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Roast approximately 12 minutes per pound for medium-rare, or about 2 hours for a 10-pound roast.
- Remove the pan from the oven, remove the roast from the pan and let stand for 25 minutes before carving.
- To serve, strain the gravy into a sauce boat and carve the roast at the table, counting on about 2 people per rib.
- FREEZING THE ROAST: Do not carve the entire roast if you don't have to. A whole solid piece of meat is more successfully cooked when defrosted than a few smaller pieces.
- Before freezing, heat a dry fry pan over high heat on top of the stove. Place the remainder of the roast, cut side down, in the pan and sear well. Allow the roast to cool to room temperature.
- Wrap with freezer paper and then over wrap in plastic wrap. Label and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Defrost, without unwrapping, in the refrigerator for 24 to 28 hours.
- To reheat defrosted rib roast, wrap prime rib in 1 layer of microwave plastic wrap and place in a covered roasting pan or Dutch oven. Cover, place in the oven, turn temperature to 250 degrees F and cook about 8 minutes per pound or until a meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the roast reads 110 degrees F.
- Remove pan from the oven and turn temperature to 450 degrees F. Unwrap the roast, replace, uncovered in the pan and replace in the oven for about 15 minutes to crust the outside.