The Classic American Burger is a joy of historic proportions. Tasty, flavorful, and rich in the expressions of democracy, freedom and equality. It was the poor man’s steak, but today is everyone’s burger.
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, smashed and finely minced
- 1 red onion, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- pickle slices - preferably dill or butter pickles
- Cheddar slices
- ripe tomatoes, sliced
- green-leaf lettuce
- whole-wheat burger buns
- melted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (85% or 90%)
- 1/4 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise, as desired
- seasoned French fries, cooked
- In a small frying pan, heat the butter and add the minced shallots and garlic. Cook over medium heat till shallots are translucent. Do not allow garlic to burn - it should be golden in color and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare all the toppings in individual bowls for assembly.
- Heat the grill to 350 degrees (approximately).
- In a bowl, blend the ground beef, shredded cheese and egg. Add the reserved shallot and garlic mixture, mixing all the ingredients well.
- Form beef mixture into 6 evenly sized balls, and press down into patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place the patties on the grill, then wash your hands thoroughly (using your hands is the best way to mix the meat).
- Lightly brush melted butter onto the bottom half of each bun. Arrange on plates.
- When burgers are cooked (about 8 minutes on each side for medium), place a lettuce leaf on each bun bottom, set a burger on top of the lettuce.
- Top with a slice of cheddar, tomatoes, pickles, red onions.
- Let guests use the condiment of their choice and set the bun top over the onions and pickle..
- Serve immediately.
This truly simple recipe produces outstanding results every time, with perfect rice to accompany all...
Bulgogi is a Korean specialty, often served as a main course or as an appetizer to be wrapped in let...
Artichokes Jewish Style (Carciofi alla Giudia) is more than a side dish, and may be a vegetarian mai...
Apple Fennel Pecan Salad with Clementine Dressing makes a glorious lunch or brunch dish with lusciou...