The Classic American Burger is a joy of historic proportions. Tasty, flavorful, and rich in the expressions of democracy, freedom and equality. It was the poor man’s steak, but today is everyone’s burger.
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, smashed and finely minced
- 1 red onion, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- pickle slices - preferably dill or butter pickles
- Cheddar slices
- ripe tomatoes, sliced
- green-leaf lettuce
- whole-wheat burger buns
- melted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (85% or 90%)
- 1/4 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise, as desired
- seasoned French fries, cooked
- In a small frying pan, heat the butter and add the minced shallots and garlic. Cook over medium heat till shallots are translucent. Do not allow garlic to burn - it should be golden in color and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare all the toppings in individual bowls for assembly.
- Heat the grill to 350 degrees (approximately).
- In a bowl, blend the ground beef, shredded cheese and egg. Add the reserved shallot and garlic mixture, mixing all the ingredients well.
- Form beef mixture into 6 evenly sized balls, and press down into patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place the patties on the grill, then wash your hands thoroughly (using your hands is the best way to mix the meat).
- Lightly brush melted butter onto the bottom half of each bun. Arrange on plates.
- When burgers are cooked (about 8 minutes on each side for medium), place a lettuce leaf on each bun bottom, set a burger on top of the lettuce.
- Top with a slice of cheddar, tomatoes, pickles, red onions.
- Let guests use the condiment of their choice and set the bun top over the onions and pickle..
- Serve immediately.
Mary Ann Esposito's delicious recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Cooked in Earthenware is an Umbrian favorit...
Gazpacho is one of the great soups, made with fresh vegetables, served at the peak of their freshnes...
Braised Beef Short Ribs with Gremolata is an amazingly flavorful, aromatic main course that pairs pe...
Butter Toffee is a traditional British confectionery; an absolute treasure for the Christmas season....