Clapshot is a uniquely Scottish method of preparing a combination of mashed potatoes and rutabagas. The flavor is rich and delish. Clapshot is a traditional accompaniment to haggis. Shown with a mixture of fried bacon and onions as a topping (not included in this recipe).
- 1 pound (450 g) potatoes
- 1 pound (450 g) swedes (rutabagas)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces (50 g) dripping (fat from roasted meat)
- 1 Tablespoon chives, chopped
- Cook the potatoes and swedes together until tender.
- Drain well and mash. Add the seasoning and beat in the dripping.
- Stir in the chopped chives and serve piping hot.