Cinnamon-Scented Apple Noodle Kugel is an exceptional dessert, perfect for Autumn and Winter seasons. Rich, delectable flavors are enhanced by the delightful fruit and nuts and complemented by both the spice and noodles. Simple, yet glorious.
- 14 ounces egg noodles; to 16 ounces, medium size
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Golden Delicious apples; 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cored
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup pecans, walnuts, or almonds; coarsely chopped
- 1/3 Cup raisins; dark
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel; grated
- 1 dash salt
- 4 eggs; separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook noodles in large pan of boiling, salted water, until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Transfer to large bowl.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons butter in large skillet. Add 1/2 of apples and saute over medium heat 5 minutes, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon. Add remaining apples to skillet and saute them. Return all apples to skillet. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Saute 1 minute, tossing apples. Transfer to separate bowl.
- Melt remaining 4 Tablespoons butter in skillet over low heat. Add 3 Tablespoons melted butter to noodles and mix well. Stir in nuts raisins, lemon peel and salt.
- Whip egg whites to soft peaks. Beat in remaining 4 Tablespoons sugar and whip until whites are stiff but not dry. Stir yolks and vanilla into noodles. Stir in 1/4 of whites. Fold in remaining whites.
- Add 1/2 of noodle mixture to greased 13"x9"x2" baking dish. Top with sauteed apples in even layer. Top with remaining noodle mixture. Spread gently to cover apples. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, then with remaining 1 Tablespoon melted butter. Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake until set, 20 minutes longer. Serve hot.
Absolutely delightful. We served this holiday season kugel in individual ramekins at a party and had high praise from all quarters.
Gambas al Ajillo is an outstanding tapas recipe from Spain, and a favorite of tapas bars in the Amer...
The combination of multiple cheeses adds a new dimension to Mac 'n Cheese. Try making this with chee...
Spicy, rich and delicious, Mulligatawny Soup has its roots in the British Raj and remains a favorite...
Unbelievably simple and wonderful, this recipe is soon to become a treat at your Thanksgiving table....