Cinnamon Churros are delectable pastries ideal for an evening’s dessert or breakfast, accompanied by hot, dark coffee. The chocolate dipping sauce is delish!
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Cup white cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cups Mexican or dark chocolate, melted
- 3/4 Cup Dulce de Leche
- chili powder
- ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter with 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 Cup water to boiling. Remove pan from heat; immediately add corn meal and flour all at once. Over low heat, cook mixture, stirring constantly, until dough forms a ball, about 1 minute.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating vigorously after each addition until dough is smooth. Line baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a paper bag or large bowl, mix remaining sugar with cinnamon. In a deep heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat 3 inches of salad oil to 375 deg F.
- Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with a number 6 tip. Pipe 5" lengths of dough into the hot oil. Fry until browned on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- With slotted spoon remove Churros from oil and place on baking sheet. While still hot, place in bag and coat with cinnamon-sugar mix. Serve immediately. Makes about 2 dozen.
- Blend melted chocolate with Dulce de Leche in a bowl over hot water. Whisk thoroughly. Scrape bowl to divide sauce into 6 serving cups to accompany the Churros.
- Garnish each serving of the sauce with a pinch of chili powder and cinnamon for an aromatic, spicy flavor.