Christmas Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cookies
- 1/4 Cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon chocolate flavoring
- 1 (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 Cups flaked coconut
- Melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler or in a micowave oven.
- Set aside and cool to room temperature. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixer bowl and beat at high speed, using a whip, until peaks are formed. Add sugar gradually while continuing to beat at high speed.
- Add flavorings and salt to meringue, beating at low speed. Add melted clocolate, continuing to beat at slow speed. Remove the whip and stir the coconut into the margingue with a spoon. Drop by heaping tablespoon onto a cookie sheet that have been sprayed with pan spray or lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes, or until marcroons are not quite firm. Remove loosly cpvered container in a dry place at room temperature.
- Keep in a loosely covered container in a dry place at room temperature, or freeze until needed. Do not cover tightly if storing at room temperature.
- Yield: 20 servings