Chopped Liver is a classic Jewish appetizer served as a spread on Melba Toast, bread or crackers; as a starter; on a bed of lettuce with vegetables or toasted rye. It makes a fabulous sandwich, particularly when paired with other ingredients.
- 1 pound chicken livers, picked over
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons schmaltz (chicken fat; see note below)
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled
- Melt the schmaltz in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the schmaltz until the onions are tender. Add the chicken livers and saute until done. (Livers are done when they are no longer red or pink on the inside.)
- Chop the cooked livers and onions, along with the hard boiled eggs. We always chop by hand, using a chopper and a wooden bowl. Regardless of how you chop them, they should be fairly coarsely chopped.
- Season with a little salt and a little more melted schmaltz if things are dry.
* Schmaltz is rendered (melted) chicken fat. If you want to make your own (which I recommend), get some chicken fat (from the butcher, or from a chicken you fix; one chicken's fat is plenty). Put the fat in a frying pan on low heat. Stir the pieces of fat frequently; if there's lots of fat, you can drain the pan into a container to keep things from splattering too much. The fat will eventually melt down to a tough, dry blob (the gribenes, which are pure poison, but I love 'em!), at which point you're done rendering. The liquid fat is the schmaltz.
Time: 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Use this on sandwiches made on rye or hearty pumpernickel. Our Publisher loves a sandwich of sliced turkey breast, hot pastrami, chopped liver, cole slaw and Russian dressing made as a triple-decker on rye. Oy vey, now that’s a sandwich!
Italians prepare Brown Buttered Noodles as a side dish when serving roast meats. Its rich butter sau...
Peking Duck, that sweet, sultry and incredible Chinese delicacy, makes an astounding ingredient for ...
Raspberry Cream Cheese Tarts are simple, easy and utterly delightful pastries that are sure to pleas...
Veal Stew with Apples is best made with crisp, firm apples that hold up to cooking. The flavors are...