Chopped Liver is a classic Jewish appetizer served as a spread on Melba Toast, bread or crackers; as a starter; on a bed of lettuce with vegetables or toasted rye. It makes a fabulous sandwich, particularly when paired with other ingredients.
- 1 pound chicken livers, picked over
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons schmaltz (chicken fat; see note below)
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled
- Melt the schmaltz in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the schmaltz until the onions are tender. Add the chicken livers and saute until done. (Livers are done when they are no longer red or pink on the inside.)
- Chop the cooked livers and onions, along with the hard boiled eggs. We always chop by hand, using a chopper and a wooden bowl. Regardless of how you chop them, they should be fairly coarsely chopped.
- Season with a little salt and a little more melted schmaltz if things are dry.
* Schmaltz is rendered (melted) chicken fat. If you want to make your own (which I recommend), get some chicken fat (from the butcher, or from a chicken you fix; one chicken's fat is plenty). Put the fat in a frying pan on low heat. Stir the pieces of fat frequently; if there's lots of fat, you can drain the pan into a container to keep things from splattering too much. The fat will eventually melt down to a tough, dry blob (the gribenes, which are pure poison, but I love 'em!), at which point you're done rendering. The liquid fat is the schmaltz.
Time: 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Use this on sandwiches made on rye or hearty pumpernickel. Our Publisher loves a sandwich of sliced turkey breast, hot pastrami, chopped liver, cole slaw and Russian dressing made as a triple-decker on rye. Oy vey, now that’s a sandwich!
Smooth, crunch, sweet and delicious Dutch Apple Pie is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice ...
Honey Roasted Peanuts are a seriously delicious, crunchy and sweet treat. Suitable for young or old,...
Bavarian Pot Roast is a warming, soothing comfort food that embodies the taste of the season. Simply...
Don't like fried foods? Dieting? Oven French Fries is a perfect solution. They're baked, crisp, tast...