Shakespeare got it wrong. Music is not the food of love, it’s chocolate. On Valentine’s Day, this glorious cake expresses undying devotion through glorious flavors and tender morsels that heighten the senses and bring pure pleasure to the palate.
- 1 Cup flour
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar pureed plums with apples baby food; (4 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 Cup egg substitute (equal to 1 egg)
- 1/2 Cup nonfat milk
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 1/2 Cup boiling water
- cocoa powder; for garnish
- instant espresso coffee powder; for garnish
- raspberries; for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter and line it with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir until the ingredients are blended. Combine the baby food puree, vanilla, egg substitute and milk. Stir it into the dry ingredients until they're almost blended. Combine the espresso powder and boiling water and stir the liquid into the batter just until the ingredients are blended.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan 10 minutes. Invert it onto a wire rack to cool a little more, then place the warm cake on a serving plate. Sprinkle the top of the cake with some cocoa powder and instant coffee.
- Cut the cake into slices and serve each piece with a few raspberries.
Each serving: 162 calories; 255 mg sodium; 1 mg cholesterol; 1 gram fat; 36 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams protein; 2.21 grams fiber.
NOTES : Recipe by Donna Deane, Times Test Kitchen Director
A hearty rye bread perfect for making outstanding sandwiches, or as an accompaniment to soups, salad...
The simple beauty of the Classic Iceberg Wedge makes this salad a joy to eat and a visual delight. ...
Blond Brownies are an American classic and pair perfectly with ice cream, custards or simply a glass...
The classic Corned Beef Sandwich is updated and enhanced by grilling it, giving it a crispy, crunchy...