Chocolate Sauce is an amazing, flexible recipe and may be used as a sweet sauce or a syrup for a variety dishes.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: makes 1/2 pint (300 ml)
- 2 ounces.(50 g) bitter chocolate
- 2 level teaspoons cornstarch
- 7 fluid ounces. (200 ml) water, less 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) 50 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 Cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (extract)
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Blend the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of the measured water in a small bowl or cup.
- Put the chocolate in a small pan, add the rest of the water, and cook over low heat until dissolved and smooth. Do not allow the chocolate mixture to boil Stir the blended cornflour quickly into the chocolate, add the butter and sugar.
- Cook the chocolate sauce for a few minutes, stirring continuously, then add vanilla essence to taste.
- Serve the sauce hot with poached pears and steamed or baked puddings. Perfect on pancakes.
For a twist, use half the sugar and add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Blend well.