What can one say about Chocolate Pudding except that it is a true classic and a favorite of young and old? Homemade beats any pre-made or mix and is very easy to make. Try this one and surprise your family with your own fresh pudding.
Make an attempt a layering it with pound cake or fresh raspberries or strawberries for a unique twist.
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream; (optional)
- Put cornstarch, sugar, cocoa, salt and 1/2 cup milk into 2-cup jar with lid. Screw on lid snugly and shake until mixture looks smooth.
- Pour mixture into saucepan and add remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with large spoon. Do not leave pan unattended; as soon as mixture becomes hot, it will thicken quickly. When pudding is smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour hot pudding into 4 small bowls. Let cool at room temperature 1 hour and serve warm with spoonful of slightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired. Or let cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This recipe yields 4 (1/2 cup) servings.