Simply extraordinary, Chocolate Pots de Crême may be served in a variety of containers. As individual portions, they’re perfect for entertaining and easy for family sweets. These go perfectly with a nice after dinner liqueur.
- 1/4 pound finely-chopped chocolate
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 whole eggs; plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- lightly sweetened whipped cream; (optional)
- Bring chocolate, whipping cream and milk just to boiling point in small saucepan, stirring occasionally. When steam appears at edges of pan, remove from heat and whisk smooth.
- While liquid ingredients are cooking, lightly beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar to combine in medium mixing bowl. Do not let mixture get foamy. Whisking gently, dribble 1/4 cup hot milk mixture into eggs. Whisk until smooth. Gradually add more hot milk, whisking constantly, until all milk is combined with eggs.
- Pour through strainer into pitcher or 4-cup mixing cup. Divide mixture equally among 8 (1/2-cup) ramekins. Egg mixture should fill ramekins or other containers only 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Place baking pan on middle rack of 300-degree oven and place ramekins in pan. Fill pan with very hot water to halfway up sides of ramekins. Cover loosely with sheet of foil or baking sheet and bake until edges are set and center of custard still trembles when shaken, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove baking pan from oven. Remove ramekins from baking pan and cool. Cover tightly and refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve, passing lightly sweetened whipped cream to add as wished.
Each serving, without whipped cream: 217 calories; 34 mg sodium; 124 mg cholesterol; 8 grams fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams protein; 0.14 gram fiber. 217 calories; 34 mg sodium; 124 mg cholesterol; 8 grams fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams protein; 0.14 gram fiber