Chocolate Meringue Pie is one of our most luscious and seductive recipes, with romantic, alluring qualities and exceptionally rich flavor. This is too good for the kiddies. Share it with someone you love!
- 1 pie shell, 9-inch; pre-baked
- 1/2 Cup cocoa, Dutch process, unsweetened
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs; separated, yolks
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (not extract)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (not extract)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 Cup confectioners' or superfine sugar
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir to mix thoroughly before you add liquids. Now add egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue) and milk and whisk until there are absolutely no lumps.
- Place directly over medium-low heat, stir constantly until the pudding thickens and comes to a plopping boil.
- Watch it intensely and don't turn up the heat; at this stage it'll stick and burn at the slightest provocation! Patience and attention are essential here. When burnt, the pudding becomes bitter and is ruined.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and butter, whisking vigorously. Do not return to the heat.
- Pour into the baked pie shell. Top with the meringue mixture (instructions below).
- Bake at 325 degrees F. until the meringue browns, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Beat egg whites and all other ingredients except sugar until foamy. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while beating vigorously until the whites will hold a firm peak and are satiny looking.
- Spread meringue over the hot filling, starting with small amounts at the edges and sealing to the crust all around. If you don't make sure the meringue is well stuck to the crust at this stage, it will shrink and pull away during the baking stage, which makes a much less attractive pie. Spread pie with remaining meringue, making peaks and valleys.
Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a wonderful dish perfect for young couples to enjoy. Simple to make, ...
A very flavorful, rich and healthful soup, Warszawa Borscht is not very popular in America, but terr...
A quick soup to prepare, it is full of deep, rich flavor. Try an all natural peanut butter to reduce...
La Paella Crema Catalana is the Spanish version of Crème brûlée. A luscious custard is topped with s...