Chinese Pineapple Chicken (Bow Luo Gai)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
- 1 pound chicken parts
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 can 8-ounces chunk style pineapple
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Tablespoon catsup
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch for thickening
- 2 teaspoons cold water for thickening
- 2 Cups oil for deep frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon thin soy sauce
- dash of pepper
- 1 thin slice fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Skin and bone chicken. Cut intl 1 1/2" cubes.
- Sprinkle chicken with each of the ingredients listed under "MARINADE", mix well and marinate for 1/2 hour.
- Cut celery into 1 1/2" pieces; then, cut each piece lengthwise into strips, juilenne style.
- Drain pineapple, saving the juice.
- Prepare batter by beating the egg, adding the water, flour and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a small saucepan.
- Dip chicken in batter and drop into the hot oil. Deep-fry for 10 minutes. Remove and drain off excess oil.
- In wok, combine pineapple juice, water, catsup, vinegar, sugar and dash of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add celery, chicken and pineapple. Cook for 1 minute over high heat.
- Add thickening made by combining cornstarch and cold water. Cook for 1 minute and serve.
- Yield: Serves 4.