Chinese Hot and Sour Soup is one of the most delicious of the soups to come from China. Deep, rich flavor soothes and warms.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Cups fresh mushrooms; wiped clean, and sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups spinach; washed
- 3 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 Tablespoons sesame oil
- hot pepper oil or sauce, to taste
- 3/4 pound tofu; diced small
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch; dissolved in
- 5 Tablespoons water
- 1 egg; beaten
- 3 Tablespoons finely-chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions; finely chopped
- Simmer chicken broth, mushrooms and spinach in soup pot over medium heat. Stir together soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, sesame oil and hot pepper oil to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon) in small bowl until well blended. Add mixture to broth.
- Taste and correct seasonings. Add tofu and cornstarch, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour egg into broth, stirring constantly until it forms ribbons. Add cilantro and green onions and serve at once.
Serving size: each of 6 servings Calories: 209 Fat: 12 g Carbohydrates: 10 g Sodium: 1,046 mg Fiber: 0.37 g Protein: 16 g Cholesterol: 36 mg