Chinese Chicken Stock
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
Serves: 2 Quarts
- 7 pounds chicken backbones and wings
- 1 slice ginger, fresh, about 1-1/2 inches, smashed
- 4 clove garlic
- 4 green onions - halved crosswise (4 to 5 scallions)
- 2 medium onions - quartered
- 3 ribs celery, halved lengthwise
- 1. In a stockpot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add the chicken parts and boil for 1 minute. Pour off the water and run cold water over the chicken; drain well.
- Return the chicken to the stockpot. Add 3 quarts of cold water and the ginger, garlic, green onions, onions and celery. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover partially and simmer for 4 hours.
- Strain the broth through a colander set over a large bowl; discard the chicken and vegetables. Refrigerate the stock for up to 3 days. Skim off the fat before using. (The stock can be frozen for up to 1 month.)
- Makes about 2 Quarts.
From this simple potage, one can readily make the most glorious, authentic Wonton and other soups.