Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Soup is a luscious, delicious, and tantalizing soup best served on cool nights to help warm the whole body.
Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 1/2 ounce (15 g) dried Chinese mushroom caps (shitake)
- 1 ounce (20 g) black frilly Chinese fungus (wood ears or tree ears)
- 2 1/2 ounces (60 g) raw chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 to 2 1/2ounces (60 g) fillets of very fresh white fish (e.g. Dover sole, haddock)
- 2 to 2 1/2 ounces (60 g) peeled prawns (shrimp)
- 1 3/4 pints (1 litre) chicken, shellfish or vegetable stock
- 1 ounce (30 g) canned bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 ounces (50 g) trimmed spinach leaves, cut lengthwise in half
For the marinade:
- pinch monosodium glutamate (optional)
- pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soak both sorts of Chinese mushrooms separately in warm water for at least 30 minutes. Cut off and discard the stalks from the shitake and trim off any tough pieces from the frilly black fungus.
- Rinse and squeeze out excess moisture. Cut into strips and set aside. Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the chicken, fish and prawns and mix thoroughly.
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes. Bring the stock to the boil and stir in all the ingredients at once except for the spinach. Simmer gently for 3 minutes and then add the well-washed spinach. Simmer for another minute, then serve.