Chilled Strawberry Soup is a delectable way to begin a meal. Perfect for entertaining and ideal for brunch, this dish is refreshing and soothing.
Chilled Strawberry Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant tapioca
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of allspice
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- additional sliced strawberries
- Process strawberries in blender or food processor until strawberries are pureed.
- In a medium saucepan, combine pureed strawberries, tapioca, orange juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered over moderate heat until mixture is thickened. The time varies, it may take 1 hour. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat. Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Refrigerate mixture until well chilled. Add lemon rind and buttermilk. Mix well with wire whisk.
- Serve soup garnished with lime slices and sliced strawberries.