The roasting of tomatoes caramelizes the natural sugars in the fruit in Chilled Roast Tomato Soup, enhancing their flavor and making them perfect for a chilled soup.
Chilled Roast Tomato Soup
A deep, rich cold soup that is refreshing and really enjoyable.
Author: Lawrence McFadden
Recipe type: Soups, Chilled Soups
- 5 pounds plum tomatoes
- 1 Cup olive oil
- 1 Cup garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 fresh thyme stems
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 10 basil leaves and stems
- salt and freshly ground black to taste
- sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Combine tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and thyme in shallow roasting pan. Roast in preheated 350 degree F oven until the surface turns dark brown and liquid has absorbed. Do not stir.
- Deglaze with some chicken stock and remove to sauce pot with remaining stock. Add basil stems and simmer for 90 minutes. Purée and put through china cap. Return to stove and simmer for another 90 minutes.
- Strain and cool again. Adjust seasonings and garnish with sour cream and basil leaves.