Chilled Melon Soup is delightfully flavorful. We have enjoyed making this in dual batches, each with a different melon, spooning them into individual glasses in layers for a dramatic, mouth-watering effect.
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 1 Cup fruity white wine such as Chenin Blanc, St. Emillon or Gerwurztraminer
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 ripe melon such as cantaloupe, Persian, or honeydew; halved, sliced, peeled, cubed and chilled (about 2 pounds)
- 1 ice cube
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (may substitute mint or basil)
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, wine, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced by about 1/3, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat; set aside to cool to slightly. Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine 1/2 of the wine mixture, 1/2 of the melon cubes and the ice cube and puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a tureen or bowl and set aside. Repeat with the remaining wine mixture and melon cubes and add to the first batch.
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cilantro.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
Recipe from "The Mediterranean Herb Cookbook: Fresh and Savory Recipes From the Mediterranean Garden" by Georgeanne Brennan (Chronicle)
Mary Ann Esposito's Split Pea Soup (Minestra di Piselli Spaccata) is warming, comforting and delicio...
Immensely flavorful, this recipe is perfect for warm weather grilling and enjoyable by all. A favor...
Shrimp Bisque is classy, soothing, sultry and incredibly seductive. The flavor is rich and tantalizi...
Herbed Mayonnaise is a glorious home-made blending of ingredients and flavors resulting in a great d...