Refreshing the palate is the primary task of this extraordinary, Chilled Lemon Soup with its tangy freshness and crisp taste. Sublime for summertime entertaining.
Chilled Lemon Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pints vegetable stock
- 1/2 pint dry cider
- 2 ounces short-grain brown rice
- salt and pepper
- 2 lemons, juiced, rind grated without pith
- 2 Tablespoons chives, snipped
- 4 thin lemon slices to garnish
- Simmer the stock, cider and rice in a covered pot with salt, pepper and lemon rind for 60 minutes. Puree and return to the pot.
- Mix in the lemon juice and simmer gently. Cool and skim any fat that might appear on the surface. Chill.
- To serve, scatter with the chives and garnish each bowl with a slice of lemon.
Brown rice can take up to 60 minutes to cook thoroughly. Please taste a few grains before pureeing the soup to ensure the rice is soft enough to be pureed.