Simply delicious, the exotic flavors mask the relatively easy preparation. Exceptionally refreshing.
Chilled Lemon and Shrimp Soup with Ginger
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 pound large shell-on shrimps with heads, if available
- 2 pints shrimp or fish stock, preferably homemade
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 eggs
- chopped chives
- 2 Tablespoons thin natural yogurt or cream to serve
- 1. Peel the shrimps and set them aside, refrigerated.
- Simmer the heads and shells in the stock for 5 minutes.
- Strain thoroughly through a sieve, making sure that the stock is really clear.
- Simmer the ginger in l inch of this stock for 5 minutes, then strain, reserving the ginger.
- Return the ginger flavored stock to the pan of stock and bring to the boil.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the lemon juice, then pour 2 Tablespoons of hot stock into the mixture and beat well.
- Remove the stock pan from the heat, add the egg mixture and stir with a balloon whisk.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook very gently as the soup thickens to the consistency of thin custard.
- Do not let the soup boil, or it will curdle.
- Cool the soup, then chill thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- To serve, pour the soup into shallow soup bowls and add the reserved prawns and ginger matchsticks.
- Garnish with chives and a swirl of yogurt or cream.