An exceptional, unusual and delectable delight, Chilled Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Fresh Dill is best served with a crusty bread and a fine, crisp white wine, this recipe soon becomes a favorite.
- 4 strips lean bacon
- 1 1/2 Cups chopped onions
- 6 1/2 Cups cauliflower florets (to 7 Cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt; plus more
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 5 Cups chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- 1/2 Cup milk
- Fry bacon in large, heavy, deep-sided pot or saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then cover and reserve for garnish.
- Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings in pan and return pan to medium heat. Add onions and stir and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add cauliflower florets, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons dill and stock.
- Bring mixture to simmer, then lower heat. Cover and cook until cauliflower pieces are completely tender when pierced with knife, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Puree soup in small batches in food processor, blender or food mill.
- Return soup to pan in which it was cooked and stir in cream and milk.
- Cover and refrigerate soup until thoroughly chilled, 4 to 6 hours or longer.
- When ready to serve, taste soup and season with additional salt if necessary. (Cold foods almost always need extra salt to intensify their flavor.
- Crumble or coarsely chop reserved bacon. Ladle soup into 4 shallow soup bowls. Sprinkle each with some bacon and some of remaining 1 tablespoon chopped dill.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 262 calories; 15.8 g fat (8.7 g saturated fat; 54 percent calories from fat); 16.5 g carbohydrates; 51 mg cholesterol; 683 mg sodium; 15.1 g protein; 5.4 g fiber.
Per serving: 172 Calories (kcal); 12g Total Fat; (69% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 45mg Cholesterol; 2978mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
NOTES: Recipe from Betty Rosbottom, a cooking school director and author of "American Favorites".
The most extraordinary flavor and aroma come from Pear Tart with Frangipane, a most delectable tart....
The seduction of Drunken Cherries on sultry premium Ice Cream creates an enticing, sensuous dessert ...
Ham and potatoes with a cheese sauce? What could be nicer as a side dish with your roast? Au Gratin ...
The flavors of Gazpacho Macaroni Salad complement its colorful composition, yielding a tasty treat t...