Rich, sultry, seductive and alluring, Chilled Avocado and Grapefruit Soup with Chipotle Chile Puree is a charming soup is best served very cold for a and flavorful experience.
- CHIPOTLE CHILE PUREE
- 2 chipotle chilies
- 1 small roasted tomato
- sea salt; to taste
- 1 leek; well rinsed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Quarts vegetable stock or water
- 1 celery stalk; cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium potato; (optional)
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1 grapefruit; segmented with juice
- 1 lime; freshly squeezed
- sea salt; to taste
- For the Chipotle Chile Puree: Puree all ingredients in a blender jar until roughly blended. Set aside.
- For the Soup: Heat the vegetable oil in saucepan over medium heat and cook leeks until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown. Add the celery, potato and a light sprinkle of salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for another 35 minutes until the liquid is reduce to 1/2 the original volume. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- Puree the cooled liquid in a blender jar with the avocados, grapefruit segments and juice, and the lime juice. Salt to taste. Serve chilled with spooned chipotle on top.
- Chef's Notes: The chipotle variety is one of the more widely known chiles from the central state of Oaxaca. They are smoked, ripened jalapenos sold dried or canned in adobo (a marinade). If you are using dried chiles, remove the stems. (Seeds and veins as well, if you prefer a milder sauce.)
- Toast the chilies in a saute pan until slightly darkened and the aroma wafts from the pan, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Place toasted chilies in non-reactive bowl and cover with boiling water. Let the chilies steep for about 20 minutes until reconstituted and then discard the water.
- Chipotles sold in adobo are easier to use, they are canned and ready to go.
- The only avocados to use in Mexican cuisine are called Haas.
- Shop for avocados that are slightly resistant to thumb pressure. You can ripen rock hard avocados by placing them in a bowl and storing them somewhere warmer then room temperature. It is easy enough but it takes three days for them to ripen, so be sure to plan ahead.
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fruit; 11 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Goes very well with a cold dry white wine and with fried flour or corn tortillas (unsalted).
In Italy, crepes are made for a variety of purposes, from appetizers to desserts. Four Cheese Crespe...
Perfect for summertime picnics and entertaining, Chilled Cucumber Soup is creamy and full of refresh...
Black Walnut Christmas Cake is a recipe from Diamond Nuts. It's moist, delicious, crunchy yet soft ...
For those who prefer meatless dishes, the Pulled BBQ Mushroom Sandwich is a genuinely tasty sandwich...